Blog#3: for the sake of social photos

 “The normal rhythms of life are opportunities for making and browsing social photos and are as such experienced in relation to the photograph.” - Nathan Jurgenson. Since when have we allowed social photos to represent our life experiences and maybe... ourselves?

My favorite photo during my trip to Chicago

Last weekend, I went to Chicago to practice my photography skill. My friends and I literally spent all day outside taking hundreds of photos. We visited different places including the museums, parks, book stores, etc. just for... the sake of pictures. I used to criticize people who go to the museum just to take pictures of them pretending to enjoy the paintings, who pick up a book at a book store to take pictures of them pretending to read the book, or those who order a cup of coffee at a coffee shop and spend hours taking photos with it. And... I did the exact same things during the trip. I realize that I only do those things when I started to create content and build an "image" on social media. But no excuse here, I don't blame social media or how superficial society is making us become. Now I don't think much about why people do those things, for whatever reasons. Nowadays, we all need some sort of validation from society, but as long as we know how to balance and keep reminding ourselves what our values are, it's fine to do things that make us happy.

Comments

Popular Posts